Happy New Year!
It’s traditional to have some kind of new dieting regime in the New Year, but this year, I’m going to do something a little different – and as this is a sewing blog, it has a lot to do with that!
For a while, I’ve thought about giving up RTW (ready-to-wear) clothing, and I’ve decided to take the plunge and do it as one of my 2015 Re-sew-lutions. I got the idea of doing a RTW “diet” from Sarah of Goodbye Valentino, who ran a RTW fast in 2014, however, while her fast included sewing absolutely everything, I’m going to allow a couple of exceptions (hence why I’m dieting, not fasting!):
- Underwear, socks & tights
- Outerwear & shoes
I’m allowing these as I don’t want my sewing to become a chore – it is my hobby, and so it should be fun and relaxing! I have no particular desire to sew any of those things at the moment, and so I will buy them if I need to.
I am also factoring in ‘emergencies’ – like last summer, when I found myself going on holiday with a suitcase full of summer dresses and only one pair of trousers when there was a forecast of solid rain… dashing out to buy trousers on the morning of departure from my parents’ house was stressful enough, never mind if I had had to sew something in that time! Of course, I’m hoping that it won’t come to using the emergency card – for one thing, I plan on being a little more organised about packing my bags this year! It just means that if I do, for whatever reason, need to buy anything, it’s not going to be the end of the world!
So, instead of buying new clothes, I will be:
- Making new clothes! I have a pretty hefty stash that I am hoping to work through (at least partially) this year. I might also finally finish knitting that first jumper…
- Buying second hand: I’m lucky enough to live in an area with a lot of fairly decent charity and vintage shops, so will try to make the most of them.
- Re-fashioning: I’ve had a few successes with cutting up old garments and making them into something new – I’m sure that more will follow…
- Re-fitting: Anything lurking at the back of my wardrobe that no longer fits will be either adjusted to fit, or will be given away!
- Mending – adding patches, fixing holes and reviving tired clothes.
I’m feeling really excited about this new challenge, and hope you’re interested in hearing more about it as I go through the year!
Thanks for reading 🙂