Me-Made-May: The story so far…

I decided that as it’s my first year as a blogger, I should definitely sign up for Me-Made-May 2015. I won’t be posting every day, but I’m hoping to do a weekly round-up – you’ll also get to see some new/ old makes that haven’t yet made it onto the blog! I pledged to wear at least one hand-made item per day during May – I’ve already had some major realisations about what I wear on a day-to-day basis (More on that another day!)

Friday 1st May
Simplicity 1609 – Made in Jan/ Feb 2014

Day 1: Me posing by someone’s scooter in the very glamorous John Radcliffe Hospital car park

This was inspired by Gertie’s many versions. It’s a rather tight fit, so I sewed it with 3/8” seam allowances for a little more room! Unfortunately, the fit was never quite right, and it’s since got worse (my back shape has changed from all the exercise I’ve been doing since then!). I was on the fence about it for a while, but I wasn’t really comfortable wearing it on Friday, so this one is going to go on to a new home. I do really like the shape though – it’s definitely going to be re-made at some point.

Changes I would make next time:
Take out 1” horizontally at waist.
Reduce 1.5” at upper centre back, and sway back adjustment. (You can now tell why there are no photos of the back of this dress…)

Cost:
1.5m striped poly-wool blend, from a shop on Goldhawk Rd: £7.50
Invisible zip: £2
TOTAL: £9.50

Saturday 2nd May
NEW: Lady Skater/ Moneta Mash up!

Photo taken in a lovely little park in Bayswater - thanks to my friend Margaret for the photo!
Day 2: In a lovely little park in Bayswater – thanks to my friend Margaret for the photo!

I made this one just before going away with my family in Mid-April, and it’s been in constant rotation since then! I love it 😀

It’s made out of some scrummy Liberty viscose jersey, and I think it has around 8% stretch. I used the bodice of the Lady Skater, and the gathered skirt of the Colette Moneta.

Construction notes:
As this was such lovely fabric, that’s been in my stash for about 18 months (awaiting the perfect project!), I wanted to really make sure I did the best job possible! I basted all the seams together on my standard sewing machine, using a zig-zag stitch, then went over the seams on the overlocker to make sure they were nice and strong. I’m really pleased with how the binding has come out on this version – I topstitched it with a zig-zag, and I think it looks really neat! Definitely going to repeat that!

Changes:
Reduced the waist length by another ½” from my previous version (so 1½” in total).
I cut a size 4, tapering to 5 at the bust. I took in the side seams about 1” from the bust tapering to ½” from the waist (this jersey was stretchier than the other fabrics I’ve used for this).
I made mid-length sleeves, as I wanted a t-shirt like effect. I left them fairly loose because of this.

Cost:
Fabric: Liberty Mitsi viscose jersey, 1.6m @ £14/m: £21 (it was a bolt end, so I got a little extra!)
Elastic: £2
Cream overlocker thread: £2
TOTAL: £25

Sunday 3rd May
M6696 in Anchor print chambray

Photo taken in the gardens by the Imperial War Museum. Thanks to Rosie for this photo!
Day 3: In the gardens by the Imperial War Museum. Thanks to Rosie for this photo!

Blogged here. I’d been in London all weekend to visit my brother and catch up with some friends. On Sunday, I went to the Fashion on the Ration exhibition at the Imperial War Museum with my friend Rosie – it was a really interesting exhibition, so I’d definitely recommend visiting if you can!

Monday 4th May
Colette Sorbetto top made in July 2014

Photo taken in front of the Sheldonian theatre in Oxford. Thanks to Patience for the photo!
Day 4: In front of the Sheldonian theatre in Oxford. Thanks to Patience for the photo!

This was a really simple and satisfying make! I think I made the size 8, with no adjustments. Neckline and armholes are finished with bias binding. As it’s a fairly loose fit, there aren’t really any changes I would make if I made this again!

Isn’t the fabric lush? I’d seen it in Darn It & Stitch a few times, but resisted buying it (see… I can be restrained when I want to be!). After going in twice and seeing the last of it in a bundle, I caved and got it anyway. I squeezed the pattern onto the fabric, leaving barely any scraps!

Cost:
0.85m Cotton lawn: £8
Pre-made bias binding: £2
TOTAL: £10

So far it’s been a fun challenge, and I’m looking forward to seeing how the rest of the month goes! Are you taking part in Me-Made-May?

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Me-Made-May: The story so far…

  1. What a pity about your Simplicity 1609. I like the fabric and I think the shape suits you quite well. Totally re-makeable! And your anchor dress is to die for!

  2. Thanks 🙂 Yeah I’ve actually got another version of 1609 cut out somewhere, but it got misplaced during a move so I’m not quite sure where! One day I’ll find it and finish it!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s