Mesas II & III

Hey everyone! I’ve got two new makes for you this time – both variations on the Seamwork Mesa dress 🙂

1: Mesa splodge dress

IMG_1047
Thanks to Hillary for taking these photos 🙂

After the success of my first mesa, I immediately bumped another right to the top of my queue – what can I say, it’s addictive!

I made this on a Saturday a few weeks ago when I was feeling ill. Despite being under the weather, I still managed to make this over the course of an afternoon – it really is a quick make!

Posing on the bridge...

The fabric was in my stash for almost two years before I finally used it. I love it, so I wanted to wait for the perfect project. It’s a jersey with a decent lycra content, but I don’t actually know what the main fibre is, though I’m going to guess viscose. I only had 1m15, so this is a really great dress for a short length of jersey!

There’s nothing much to say about the construction, as it’s such a simple dress! I made it using both the overlocker and my Bernina. As it’s a casual dress, I chopped an extra few inches off the hem – it now has a hi-lo hem. I’m not sure how well this has worked, but I love the dress, so I don’t care.

Posing.... again!
Posing…. again!

This is now one of my absolute wardrobe favourites – the reason I haven’t blogged it yet is because I was wearing it so much and kept on forgetting to take photos! Always a winner in my book!

Plus, the extra fun bit is that I used brightly coloured thread in my overlocker to match the outside of the fabric – so pretty!

Thread and pretty insides!

2: Mesa motorbike Tee

IMG_0973

Since I really like the fit of the Mesa, I decided to try it as a t-shirt using this fab motorbike print jersey from Girl Charlee. First off, I was very impressed with how quickly the package arrived. Though postage does seem a little more expensive than a lot of other places.

This T-shirt took about 2 hours from cutting to finishing, just in time for my trip to Edinburgh with friends!

I made this just in time for a trip to Edinburgh with friends! That’s Arthur’s seat in the background

To make this a t-shirt, I just worked out where roughly I would like it to finish and then chopped it off there! I also shortened the sleeves by 5 cm, as they sat slightly oddly on me at the intended length. As I wanted the t-shirt to fit a little more loosely, I added an extra 1/4″ on each side seam from the armhole downwards. I’m really pleased with how this came out!

If I made this as a t-shirt again, I’d also add a little more ease in around the shoulders – it might be that this jersey is a bit of a closer fit than the others I’ve used for this pattern, but it does ride up a little at the shoulders.

Enjoying a pint of beer in my new T-shirt 🙂

Also, it looks a little loose across the CF neckline – any ideas on how to deal with that without a dart?

Have you sewn any of the Seamwork patterns yet?

I’ll leave you with a shot of me laughing at my fab camerawoman, who was shouting at me:

Action shot!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Mesas II & III

  1. It’s funny how your Mesa II looks mainly purple in some pictures and grey in others! I love that fabric, well done on saving it for this special project.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s